Thursday, April 26, 2007

Anything but Standard


Here is what you should know.

The public school system in this country is NOT concerned about encouraging your child to succeed to the best of their abilities.

They do not care
how brilliant your child may actually be.
They are not concerned about what he might know.
About what he is capable of becoming.

This is what you should know.

They do care about their set standards.
They are worried about meeting their goal of where ALL children should be.
The are concerned with their school's test scores.

You need to know.
That if your child has a learning disability that prevents them from processing the information they need in order to soar,
and learn
and grow....
IF they have a "disorder" that prevents them from processing the information in the exact way other children do...
IF your child learns in a different way...
IF they see the world in a slightly different eyes...

but IF your child is just about at that set state grade standard...
the standard that is not your child's,
the standard that the school system has deemed to be a high enough bar to reach for...
THAT standard...
well then,
you should know...

Your child will not be helped to rise to what is THEIR potential.
They will not be encouraged to soar.

Because they might just be a little too smart,
a little too able,
a little too standard.

And because they are smart enough to work with this world that doesn't make sense to them, because they have the ability to work and work at a problem that should hardly take thought at all, because they use ALL they have to figure it out..
and they do...
They will not be helped.

They will have to continue to struggle,
to work as hard as they can,
to exhaust themselves daily just to keep up.

They will get to the point where they don't enjoy school...
they don't want to learn...
they don't like it anymore.

They will get to the point where they feel inadequate,
they second guess themselves,
they
start
to
lose
their
confidence.

If SOMEONE would just help them find a way to figure it out faster...
to unlock the way they learn....
it would all be easier for them.
But it's not necessary, because you see...
they are at the grade level standard.

2nd meeting.

Nothing accomplished.

NOTHING to show for the meeting, except frustration.
Too many hoops to jump through...
So many tests here.

"Back home they just taught Colten the way that he needed to be taught in order to learn.
The first grade teacher talked with the second grade teacher, they worked it out. They wanted him to succeed. They saw his potential.
If you could just try this....
if you'd just explain it to him this way....
if you could just .....but..... I know that it works."

"We will continue testing.
He's just about at the standard for his grade level.
I'm not sure why we're even talking about this."

"His teacher is asking for help, she wants to know what to do. She sees how hard he works. She knows it shouldn't be so hard."

"We will continue testing him, we will meet again in a month."

"So are we content with children meeting state standards, or are we concerned with them achieving the standards they are capable of achieving?"

"We want children to be at the state standard"

"So my older son that is in the gifted program, once he was identified as gifted, he was encourage to rise and work up to a higher potential, but other children, all the other children, they are only encourage to work toward the same standard..the same exact level...is that right?"

"Yes".

From the Ohio Department of Education : These standards let teachers know what they are expected to teach and students know what they are expected to learn. Standards also help educators identify and measure what students know and can do.

To the teachers back home that identified Colten as dyslexic, that worked with him, encouraged him, gave him the ability to learn and showed him the joy that is associated with that accomplishment... that wanted what was best for him.
Thank you.
You never made him stand out in the classroom, you didn't circle all of his writing in red,
you got my child.

I appreciated them then,
I appreciate them now.....
I miss them like you would not believe.

I thought maybe it would be harder here.
But when you move into the "best school system in the state"...
you assume that your child's needs will be met.
NEVER assume.

Advocate for your child. Tell the school exactly what you want for your child.
And if they won't provide it.
Come up with other options.

I'm working on that now.

His second grade teacher in Greenville said to me one day when I was picking him up...

"I love your son!
He's going to be president one day you know, and I'm just going to be happy I knew him".


***btw...I'm sure you know, but I'll remind you....that glorious photo of my sweet boy is by Nisa.

15 comments:

minus31 said...

You know I am tired. You know what happens when I am tired. Thankfully no one was looking as the tears rolled down my face.

I am so proud that you are the mother of my children. I could not ask for more. I love you!

Anonymous said...

sending you big, BIG hugs.

and this is why i may end up homeschooling forever, because i don't know if i have the energy to fight the fight to get my kid what he needs. and it makes me sad that any of us have to fight that fight for our non cookie cutter kids. =(

Anonymous said...

Oh, E - I hear you loud and clear and could have written every word myself. And not because I have a child with non-typical needs. But because I wanted to be a teacher once. Because I went to graduate school and thought I could make at least one small change in the system. But I couldn't. And I got so frustrated that I finally gave up. After all that money on college and time spent. And I send my kids to alternative schools that I have to pay for because my tax dollars to the public schools do nothing for my family. If you ever, ever, want to talk, vent or whatever, please feel free to e-mail me. naturemomm@comcast.net Hugs to you and your awesome little guy(s)(and hubby too). Keep fighting. Keep looking for the answers. NEVER give up. Your hubby was right, your son is blessed to have you as his mommy. Have you ever read Gardner's book Emotional Intelligence? You should check it out. Karen

sarah said...

okay. first.
colin.
wow...i need a colin.
what a great man you have e.

and second.
i'm so sad.
why in the world are teachers placing standards on children?! Every child is different. Every child deserves a chance to learn. ESPECIALLY when they WANT to learn. What is wrong with people?!

Go get em E.
Fight for that sweet boy.
xo.

essie said...

Get that advocate.
Call her now.
Call the local news station and PUNK THEM OUT.

Do you want me to drive to Ohio? We would be a force to be reckoned with-and then I could give Jack the moon pies?

Coley-O is going to make it in spite of this bullshit Erika, he is, you're on the road to nowhere with this bunch of idiots. It's time to do things your way!! Get all the information you can from Greenville on how they modified and differentiated for him. I'm thinking you really have legal grounds at this point.

I love you sweetie, take a deep breath, cry now, and call that lawyer!!

xoxox
e2

Mara said...

that last sentence made me tear.
you are such a good mom.
your boys are beyond lucky.
xo.

RACHEL =) said...

Oh Erika, I am sooo so sorry!! Sounds so frustrating, I couldn't even imagine! I'll be thinking about you guys and will say a prayer that it all works out... you are such an amazing mom! HUGS!

And Colin's post is so so sweet! Wow! And that picture is gorgeous, Nisa rocks!! :)

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. We live in one of the worst public school systems in the country. I already know that my high energy DD would be diagnosed with "ADD" or "ADHD". the girl cannot.sit.still.

and she gets that from me! I am so blessed to homeschool - and excited to do it too! you are one rockin mom.

Rachelle said...

big hugs sweetie :)

you're right...
it shouldn't be this hard.
you're such a great mom.

Latharia said...

Rock on! Standards are just so frustrating. :( I wish there was more consideration & thought about the amazing diversity & joy that children represent!

gabbyfek said...

oh my sisser
i know how this is hurting you
and i so wish i could help
colten is such a amazing kid.
he is funny
he is brilliant
he is so full of life and wonder and is so much bigger than everything around him.
i know you will keep fighting for him.
and i know that he's going to be the BEST bmx biker/ professional soccer player/ stuntman/ restauranteer/ president the world's ever seen.
and he will be those things because his parents fought the good fight for him.
i know this.
and i love you all with all my heart.
xoxoxoxoxooxoxxo.

Barb said...

I follow links here from a few other places and nose around every once in awhile.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. No parent should ever have to feel that their voice isn't being heard and that their child is not being treated as an individual.

I work with striving middle school readers and the teachers who serve them. While standards are important, it is more important that we remember we are dealing with children who need a nurturing and supportive environment.

Kimberly said...

You're right... it's wrong and it totally sucks! I was an education reporter for many years and I've heard so many similar stories, many from teachers who hated the standards and what they meant for SO many kids.

You are a fantastic mom. It's awesome that you're fighting for Coley and for what's best. So many parents give up and that makes me sad. I'm sorry you have to fight, but thank god for you fighting!!

I'm sending a big hug your way and a high-five to fight the powers that be so that your son gets what he needs!!

creasa said...

This made me cry. The problem is none of them are really cookie cutter kids. Even the ones who are learning with these methods are suffering. I see teachers dishing out instruction and say, "Here it is..figure out how to learn with this." Instead of saying, "Who are you? What do I need to do to reach you?" I'm going to say this every. single. day. when I teach. Makes me happy to see you fight. I believe in the public school system. I believe in needs to be changed, but I believe our children need it.

Unknown said...

My daughter, who is in 2nd grade now, has struggled since she started school. Last year her teacher had NO DESIRE to work with her or us, all she wanted was my daughter put on meds.

We eventually took her to a therapist last year and she was diagnosed with ADD, OCD and possible autism. We took the schools advice, the teachers advice and the therapists advice and put her on meds. I cried for days, in my heart I just felt it was so wrong to medicate her. She wasn't herself on it, I had lost my daughter. After a month we took her off of the meds. She struggled throughout the year, barely passing. At the end of the year she HATED school.

Fast forward to second grade ~

On the first day of school she wasn't excited at all to go, she still was in the mindset of hating school. Then the first day she came home with the biggest smile on her face. She was so happy with her new teacher and just LOVED him. She looked forward to school everyday and was upset on days she was sick and would miss. We went to PTA to meet her teacher and wow, I was blown away. She ran right in and hugged him. He was so caring and nuturing. He told me "she is 7, let her alone, let her off of meds...different kids need taught different ways and once we find her way then we will be fine". And wouldn't you know she had straight A's in school. God certainly blessed us with him.

Hang in there and keep on fighting. These schools think they can tell US what is right for our kids, what we should do with our kids....WE are the parents! If you ever need anything email me, I'd be happy to talk.

cutcutler1903@aol.com