Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Is Fudge in dis one Momma?


I read to the little boys every night before bed...
Right now we are reading
From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler,
which is a switch from our Judy Blume marathon of Fudge books.
When I read each character has to have a very distinct voice.
I was pretty thrilled with this new book because there are no obnoxious toddler voices.
Last night I was reading...
one of the characters was using a "magic marker" to write with.

"What is a magic marker?" Jack
"It's just another way to say marker." me
"Why is it magic?"
"It's not Jack, it's just a marker."
"It's a magic marker."
"Right, but that just means marker."
"Do you have to write on special paper?"
"No, it's really just a marker."
"But...do you have to write on special paper?"
"No."
"Then how is it magic?"
"Jack, it's not magic...it's a regular marker."
"Why is it called a MAGIC marker then?"
"I am not sure...but it's just a marker."
"A magic marker."
"Right."
"Does it only write on special paper?"
....
I determined after this circular magic marker discussion that reading in silly voices is
MUCH easier....

3 comments:

sarah said...

CUTE.
I never thought about magic marker being a term that kids now days wouldn't understand. :)

and for the record...
you made me want to read my old fudge books again.
"eat it or wear it!".
:)

Unknown said...

this made me smile
and laugh
and relate all too well

essie said...

Okay-so the teacher momma hasn't read her kids to bed in HOW long...and I know I should.

This book you will LOVE, and get your boy some SMELLY magic markers, so he can fully appreciate what we are all missing-magic.

ily my goddess of strength girlfriend!
xoxox
e2