Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Alex

The race that Alex DeVinny had with life was cut short by her long-time rival, anorexia nervosa. She lost that race on Sunday, March 5, 2006, when her large and generous heart just stopped beating. She was 20 years old. Alex was born in Racine on October 14, 1985, to Doug and Lana DeVinny. During her brief two decades, she touched many people with her intelligence, humor, courage, and athletic ability. She was recognized as a runner of rare athletic ability, who set course records throughout the state, winning the state championship in the 3200 M race in her junior year. But more than a fine athlete, she excelled academically, graduating with honors from Park High School in 2004 and recruited by many universities. Unfortunately, she was unable to attend as the eating disorder became more controlling. Her love of books, popular culture, Nike apparel, and Steve Madden shoes was legendary. She was also a talented Artist whose interest was in making jewelry created with her handmade lamp work beads. As an eighth grader, she was awarded a WCATY (Wisconsin Center for Academically Talented Youth) Grant to pursue research in hot glass bead making. Most importantly, Alex was a kind, honest, and generous human being, who cared deeply for her family and friends, as well as for social issues and environment. She will forever be missed by the people she touched, but especially by her family. In addition to her parents, Doug and Lana DeVinny of Racine, her survivors include her sisters, Gabrielle (Michael) Fekete of Cary, N.C. and Erika (Colin) Willard of Greenville, N.C.; her nephews, Jared, Colten, and Jack Willard; and numerous aunts, uncles, and cousins throughout the United States. Her two four-legged friends, Baby and Nike are still waiting for her to come home. The service celebrating Alex's life will be held at Mount Pleasant Lutheran Church, 1700 South Green Bay Road, on Saturday, March 11, 2006, at 10:30 a.m. with Rev. Kara F. Baylor officiating. Burial will take place at Graceland Cemetery on Monday, March 13, 2006, at 10:30 a.m. Family and friends are invited to meet in the Draeger-Langendorf Funeral Home on Friday evening from 5 until 8 p.m. for a public visitation. There will also be a visitation in the church on Saturday from 9:30 until 10:30 a.m. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to the family, who will establish something in Alex's name at a later time. Her family wishes to thank the brave efforts of the ER and Intensive Care Unit of All Saints - St. Mary's Medical Center to save Alex's life, especially the caring and skilled nurses, Kerri and Mary Jo. They would also like to encourage those who work in law enforcement, human services, and the justice system to think seriously about the victims of anorexia nervosa and make the effort to care for them in a way that would treat the disorder rather than punish the victim.


Thank you to all of you.
For your prayers and friendship during this time.
It was an incredibly hard week...but the anger is gone, and the good memories have returned.
They were gone for so long...it's nice to have them back.
I missed them so...

Please take some time and read about my sister-
here and here.....

The visitation was amazing.
The line literally wrapped around, and around, and out the door....
So many young girls came through the line and simply said "I didn't know your sister well, but I knew of her, and this is my wake up call. I've been suffering with an eating disorder for years." Cross Country and Track teams from every school from all around the county were there, as a team....coaches as well.

Alex didn't know she touched that many people, of this I'm sure.
I know she felt alone, I know she didn't think anyone cared, including me.
I wish she knew.
I wish we could have had some magic that would have given her the chance to feel the love we all felt on Friday.
Some way she could have seen what we did that day.

Gabby and I are organizing a memorial run this summer.
In her honor.
With the help of her high school coach....
who said...
"I was going to quit coaching after this year...but now I'm going to keep going...because I know I can help someone...I just wish I could have helped Alex."
We want to raise money for awareness...
We need to help others, where we tried to help Alex.
Please plan on coming....
if you can.
I know I speak for Gabby when I say we'd be honored.
I know I speak for Alex when I say she'd be so very very touched.

Thank you.
Love-Erika

ps. Please give Gabby some love right now, things unfortunately became even worse for us all on Saturday. I'll let her explain...but she could use some support.

23 comments:

gabbyfek said...

i love you.
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo.

Missy said...

you are an amazing big sister.
xoxoxoxox

Mara said...

seriously.
you are just amazing.
and i love you for loving your family so much.
so glad i got to give you a hug on saturday.
i'm a shitty runner, but count me in.
XO.

kelly said...

thinking of you guys... sending lots of love your way.

sarah said...

much love to you and your family...
you are an amazing big sister, Erika.

I can't run either...
and y'all are like 3000 miles away, but I can and WILL support Alex's race this summer in any way I can.

continued hugs and prayers to you and your family.
xoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Oh Erika, I miss you dude. I am so sorry about your sister. Hang in there, girlie. Love you.

Anonymous said...

we love you erika...and i feel like i love alex too...even just through you. you and gabby will do amazing things in her honor...i know you will.

darcy said...

Erika.. you can SO tell that you are an amazing big sis. Even the way that you are thinking of Gabby before your own hurts right now is simply amazing...

I've been praying for your family. I hope you've felt it. I won't plan on stopping anytime soon. I promised to be your prayer warrior and I'm living up to it..

Romans 8:28.. hang in there, *e*

My Christmas Atelier said...

hi erica,
i'm a friend of gabby's. i am so sorry for your loss.
thank you for sharing your sister's story. it means alot.
my thought have been with you guys.

Jen said...

I am so sorry E.
For all of it.
So unbelievably sorry for you all.
I'm thinking of you.
And I can't run AT ALL....but I'd love to be there.
All my love, J

Anonymous said...

sending my love and many ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

oh how i love you and gabby...
and i would be honored to run in this event!
you're doing alex proud.

RACHEL =) said...

Alex definitely sounds like she was an amazing inspiration - and the fact that SO many people attended her wake is wonderful!
I am so glad you and Gab are trying to fight to make a stand against anorexia - it's such a dangerous "disease". I have never known anyone personally who went through it, and I guess I never knew the extent to how bad it could get.
Always thinking and praying for you and your family... God is always with you, and I know He will give you the strength to get through this.
I would totally be HONORED to run - let me know when, where and I will be there! =)

Sarah said...

hugs dear.
I can't even imagine
I'm so sorry.

Jessica O'Brien said...

You and Gabby are such amazing people and all I can do is offer my support, love, and prayers. I am so sorry for your loss and can't wait to participate in that run. Love to you- xoxo.

Anonymous said...

I feel so sad for you and your family right now and I'm so sorry for you loss. I'll be praying for you.

k photography said...

Sweet Erika.
I can't seem to be able to tell you the feelings in my heart.

But I dreamt that you and Gabby lived two houses away from where I grew up (perhaps because WI is next to MN???) and that I could be there - in person - to support you.

So this is my attempt at sending you all the love I can.
Kirsten

Jamie said...

Oh E, I'm so heartbroken for you and your whole family. I really am. Thank you for being such a good big sister and helping to take care of Gabby and the rest of your family through this time.

All of my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

so sorry, erika
for everything you and your
family are going through
right now.
thinking of you...

-moon

Chares Square Co-op said...

hi e...
hugs to you...
and love.
lots of love.
xog2

pakosta said...

i would love to be at that run for alex. will it be in racine? i didn't know you girls were that close to me when you came for the service. i am only 20 min. from there. please let me know where/when the run will be. i would be more than happy to be there. prayers.
tara

Anonymous said...

i am so sorry for your loss
i can't even imagine how hard it is
you are in my thoughts
i wish you love and peace

Anonymous said...

i read alex's story on the april issue of seventeen...i hope this became a meaningful lesson to all of us...

even though i barely know her, i hope alex will continue to inspire others....

love and peace to alex devinny...