Thursday, December 01, 2005

E-YER-GIC


So, Jack is allergic (or "E-yer-gic" in jackspeak) to almost everything God created.
Ok, that's an overstatement....but he's got some interesting ones...
lettuce for instance...
who knew you could even be allergic to lettuce?
not i....
His main allergens are peanuts, shellfish, and pork.
As far as allergies go I'm lucky because milk and wheat would be much more difficult...
for me anyway.
SO, I realize I've learned a lot about allergies having the jackman....but common sense would dictate that allergies can be life threatening.
This is why we have the epipen....

So this morning...
(yes, that was a lead in for a very exciting "e's bored story"....hold on to your seats)
I'm in the shower...the phone rings...the machine gets it..
I get out....(can't leave the exciting details of the story out)...
and there is a message from one of the moms on my son's soccer team...

"Hi Erika...hey, my mom called me today to tell me this story that was on the news about this sixteen year old girl who had a peanut allergy. Her boyfriend ate a peanut butter sandwich 3 hours earlier, and then kissed her, well, like four hours later she died. I just never realized that food allergies could be that severe, just thought i pass that along....Talk to you later".

WELLLL....Good morning to e!
Thanks for sharing...

Yes, I'm aware of these stories...
Yes, It doesn't actually help the hypochondriac...
Yes, I'm nervous when I'm not with him.
Yes, I'm blessed his teacher HAS a food allergy, and ALWAYS errs on the side of caution when giving Jack food.
Yes, It ticks me off when I'm at a crop and a woman find the need to go on (and on and on and on...) about how UNFAIR it is that some child's mom want to make the room her child's in at school peanut free...how it shouldn't be allowed...how inconvenient it is for HER...
NICE.

I'm actually glad my friend called, I'm glad she's more aware now....
So my public service announcement for the day is be aware, be thoughtful, be educated.
Jack is lucky, so far, (knock on wood)....his allergens have to be ingested,
but some kids react from touching the allergen or breathing them in.
So, if your child has a pb sammy for lunch and then touches the same table a child w/ a peanut allergy touches...even hours later....
they could have a serious, even anaphylaxic reation.
If a child in your kids class HAS a food allergy...
ask if there is a safe treat you can bring in for birthdays, etc.
Jack has yet to be included in a birthday celebration at school.
It's frustrating...
but at least I can try to make people understand, that a little inconvenience on your part,
could be the difference in my child's health...
or anothers.

Sorry, I'm done now ;)
heehee...sorry, I'm not angry...rereading that...I think I sound angry...
I swear I'm not.
I am cold though, so I'm off to put a sweatshirt or sum-thin on...
Thanks Rachel for the page fix ;) heehee..
I gave it to my friend this morning...in frame, and she liked...
which made me HAPPY.
she also told me a story about her husband, her cat, and a clothes dryer.
(***Do not worry, the cat lived...this was a "did I ever tell you the story of..." happened years ago type thing)
Of course ....now, I want to scrap THAT!
is that wrong?
probably yes, I'll refrain.
TOMORROWS FRIDAY!!!!! YAY!!!! xxe

9 comments:

gabbyfek said...

ahhhhhhhhhhhh sisser.
you crack me up...
so does the kitty/clothes dryer story... err. no, no it doesn't...
poor jack.
and his ayergies....
i shall not make any pb cookies for the holidays this year.... although i really like 'em-- i REALLY like jack better...
and, e, remember-- our "friend" at the crop is the only woman EVER to have borne triplets, so she's the only special person.... ;) that was a fun crop. now i'm thinking about RIBBONS and RIVETS and giggling.
love you.
xox,
g

Mara said...

i don't think i can come up with a comment to do your post justice. that was funny. glad you're not mad. just wanted to say "hi"... and big hug to jack.

Jamie said...

Poor guy. :( I'm sad that he doesn't get to be included in on everything. Good PSA though, I proabably wouldn't have thought about some of that stuff! :)

Sarah said...

You win the good neighbor award!!
Now I'm feeling guilty about sending Bo with a PBJ this morning....he doesn't like them anyway, so will be happy to never eat another.
Would love to hear the dryer story...

RACHEL =) said...

YIKES, ALLERGIES... WILL BE PRAYING THAT GOD WATCHES OVER THE LITTLE GUY EVERY MOMENT OF THE DAY... SO SCARY!!!

LOVE HOW YOU RAMBLE ON LIKE ME, I'M A RAMBLER, TELL EVERY LITTLE TINY DETAIL, I'LL ADMIT IT =)

SOOOOO GLAD YOUR FRIEND LIKED THE LAYOUT, HOW COULD SHE NOT?! IT ROCKS THE HIZOUSE!!!!!! HAVE A GREAT NIGHT GIRLIE =)

Missy said...

my best buddy Aysu is ayergic to shellfish and bees... and I am the one she trusts to tell about her epi-pen... WHY ME??!!

seriously though.. that story FREAKED me out when I read it on the wire... too too scary. I can hardly imagine how you feel. There is a reason why connor is almost 2 and I haven't given him a PB&J yet!

Colleen said...

i have to wear a medic alert too. i don't mind the bracelet it is the "what's wrong with you" questions i get. can't they just say: what are you allergic to? geez...

you are such a good mom, man. but what the hell is wrong with some people with their complaining?!? some people are so friggin selfish!

Erica Hernandez said...

:( SO scary...can't imagine dealing with something like that, I know I *would* if I had to but I'm glad I don't...I promise not to send PB to school with my kiddos when the time comes!

sarah said...

Poor Jack...that sucks that he has to miss out on the treats. Good information in your post, stuff I never thought about and I didn't think you sounded angry at all...just a good concerned momma! :)

must hear the kitty/dryer story!